Teen Driver Accused of Deliberate High-Speed Incident Involving 12 Vehicles That Tragically Claimed the Life of His Pregnant Girlfriend

A Nevada teen is accused of intentionally causing a tragic 12-car collision that led to the loss of two lives, including his pregnant girlfriend, after his vehicle struck traffic at nearly 100 mph.
Jose Gutierrez, 19, was not under the influence of substances when he sped through the streets of Las Vegas on Nov. 18 in a 45 mph zone, Clarke County District Attorney Steve Wolfson said.

Prosecutors emphasized that evidence shows Gutierrez did not attempt to slow down before the collision, which resulted in the deaths of his passenger, Adilene Duran Rincon, 20, and another driver, Edward Garcia, 38.
“Based on the evidence so far — including clear video footage — we believe these actions were deliberate, leading to serious criminal charges,” Wolfson stated.
Gutierrez was driving a silver 2011 Infiniti G37 with Rincon, who was expecting a child, when the vehicle collided with multiple cars stopped at a red light at the intersection of Cheyenne Avenue and North Jones Boulevard, according to local reports.

Rincon and Garcia were pronounced deceased at the scene, while a third individual was transported to a nearby hospital in critical condition, authorities said.
Police later discovered a marijuana vape device on Gutierrez, and officers noted signs of possible use, though the district attorney confirmed the driver was not impaired at the time.
As a result, prosecutors elevated the charges from reckless driving causing serious harm to multiple felony charges, including homicide-related offenses.

Officials added that the vehicle Gutierrez was driving was registered to Rincon’s mother.
Court records show this was not Gutierrez’s first traffic-related incident. In September, he was involved in a crash with an elderly woman after failing to stop at an intersection. He also received a speeding citation last month.
Earlier this year, Gutierrez was arrested following an incident involving verbal threats toward a responding officer during a domestic call.
Gutierrez is currently being held without bond and is scheduled to return to court on Jan. 6 for his arraignment.