Family in Anguish After Claims Emerge That Young Israeli Children and Their Mother May No Longer Be Alive

THE FAMILY of a mother and her two young sons who were held in Gaza say they are in a state of deep emotional distress after Hamas claimed the three have passed away and that their remains will be returned to Israel.

Five-year-old Ariel Bibas and his two-year-old baby brother Kfir were taken along with their mother Shiri Bibas, 33, during the groupโ€™s large-scale attack on October 7.

Their father Yarden Bibas, 35, was also taken after being seriously assaulted, according to reports.

Images of Shiri holding her two children during the incident became one of the most heartbreaking symbols of the events of that day.
Kfirโ€™s bright smile, shared widely online, gave many people hope as the world waited for news of the familyโ€™s safe return.

Now, Hamas has claimed that the mother and her two sons are no longer alive and that their bodies will be released alongside six living captives.

Israeli authorities have not yet officially confirmed the identities of those expected to be returned.

In a statement released shortly after the claim, the Bibas family said they are โ€œin turmoil.โ€

โ€œUntil we receive definitive confirmation, our journey is not over,โ€ the family said.

Yarden Bibas was freed earlier, on February 1, after spending 484 days in captivity, separated from his family.

For months, relatives had received no proof of life for Shiri or the boys. The family feared the worst when Hamas previously claimed the mother and children had died during airstrikes, though no evidence was provided at the time.

Clinging to hope, the family continued to call for their release, believing there was still a chance they were alive.

That hope was shattered when it was confirmed that Shiri, Ariel, and Kfir โ€” who were listed for release during the first phase of the ceasefire โ€” were among those who had passed away.

On October 7, the family had been sheltering in their home on Kibbutz Nir Oz, updating relatives via text as armed men moved through nearby homes.

At 9:43 a.m., Yarden messaged his sister Ofri Bibas Levy, saying: โ€œTheyโ€™re coming in.โ€


That was the last message she received from him.

Soon after, video footage surfaced showing Shiri in visible distress, holding her children as they were led away. Another clip later showed Yarden being forcibly taken, injured and bleeding.

On the one-year anniversary of the attack, Ofri told media outlets:

โ€œThe past year has been a nightmare.
We live every day with fear and uncertainty.

Not knowing is the hardest part โ€” are they alive, are they not, are they being mistreated?
Do they have food, water, or sunlight?โ€

When Hamas first claimed Shiri and the boys had died, she said the family chose to hold onto hope.

โ€œEven if there was only a one percent chance it wasnโ€™t true, we decided to keep fighting and keep demanding answers.โ€

Family photos from before October 7 show a joyful household โ€” the children laughing, playing, and cuddling with their parents. One image shows the whole family wearing matching Batman costumes on a couch.

Ofri previously described Ariel as an energetic child who loved tractors, superheroes, and water play, while baby Kfir was gentle, affectionate, and loved to laugh.

Heartbreakingly, Kfir never celebrated a birthday outside of Gaza.

For months, the family urged Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to secure a ceasefire that would allow captives to return. When the agreement was finally reached, their relief was mixed with fear due to the lack of information about their loved ones.

Israel later announced it would receive the remains of four captives on February 20. While names were not initially released, families were notified.

It was later confirmed that Shiri Bibas and her two sons, Ariel and Kfir, were among those who had passed away.