Never Gave Up Friend of 12 Year Old Injured in Shark Encounter Tells How He Bravely Jumped Into the Water to Save His Pal as the Boy Fights for His Life

A brave friend of a 12-year-old boy injured during a shark incident in Sydney Harbour has shared how he jumped into the water to save his mate.

Nico Antic had been rock jumping with two friends from a ledge around six metres high at about 4:20pm when he was seriously injured in an encounter believed to involve a bull shark.

The incident happened along the Hermitage Foreshore Walk near Shark Beach in Vaucluse, also known as Nielsen Park.

As the shark remained nearby, one of Nico’s friends immediately entered the water and pulled him toward the rocks.
Other friends rushed in to help move Nico to safety before Water Police arrived and provided emergency care.

Nico was transported by boat to Rose Bay and then taken to Sydney Children’s Hospital in Randwick, where he was treated for severe leg trauma and placed in critical condition.

The friend who rescued him later described the emotional moment.

“He kept fighting and breathing in my arms — he never gave up,” he said.
“He’s the most stubborn person I know.”

NSW Police Superintendent Joseph McNulty praised the boys’ actions.

“The efforts of his mates who went into the water to help him were incredibly brave,” he said.
“Those young men showed true mateship under extremely confronting circumstances.”

Police-released CCTV showed the boys walking through a nearby street before the incident and later running back afterward.

Tributes quickly filled social media, describing Nico as a kind, energetic, fun-loving boy who enjoyed sport and making his friends laugh.

A GoFundMe page was created to support the Antic family during what was described as an extremely difficult time.

“Despite every effort, this devastating incident has led to the most heartbreaking outcome,” a close friend wrote.
“We are raising funds to help the family manage upcoming expenses during this painful period.”

Another family friend said Nico sustained life-altering injuries.

By Friday evening, the fundraiser had reached $224,644 of its $250,000 goal.

After early reports suggested Nico had passed away, a family member later clarified that he was still alive, but would not regain consciousness.

“He remains asleep, but his brain is completely unresponsive,” they said.

The family described Nico as a talented young athlete who “always put a smile on people’s faces” and was deeply loved.

His football club, Goal Soccer Academy in Rose Bay, said Nico had been a dedicated player for seven years and represented the club at major tournaments, including the Sydney International Cup.

The incident was one of several shark-related encounters reported along the NSW coastline within days.

Authorities temporarily closed multiple beaches, while Surf Life Saving NSW urged the public to avoid entering the water due to conditions that increase shark activity.

Officials later confirmed that beaches would gradually reopen, with safety measures including drone surveillance, patrols, and monitoring equipment remaining in place.