15-Year-Old Sentenced to Minimum 13 Years in Custody Over the D𝚎𝚊th of 12-Year-Old Boy in Birmingham

A 15-year-old boy has been sentenced to a minimum of 13 years in custody over the passing of 12-year-old Leo Ross in Birmingham last year.

Leo was assaulted while walking home from school in the Yardley Wood area on 21 January 2025. He later passed away in hospital. Police said the victim had no known connection to the offender and believed the incident was a random act.
The teenager, who cannot be named for legal reasons, admitted responsibility last month. Sentencing him at Birmingham Crown Court on Tuesday, Justice Choudhury KC said the boy had been involved in a “pattern of harmful behaviour” toward several people before the incident involving Leo.

The judge told the court that Leo was an innocent schoolboy on his way to meet a friend and described the impact on his family as almost unbearable. The teenager was ordered to serve a minimum term of 13 years and will only be considered for release if a parole panel determines he no longer poses a concern.

Detective Inspector Joe Davenport of West Midlands Police read a statement from Leo’s foster family, who said the sentence could never bring the justice they longed for and that the pain of losing him would remain with them forever.

Leo’s mother, Rachel Fisher, criticised the minimum term, saying it did not go far enough and warning that similar cases would continue unless stronger action was taken. She described her son as a loving and gentle child whose future had been taken away.

Leo’s father, Christopher Ross, told the court his son was deeply loved and remembered by everyone who knew him for his kindness.
The defence said the teenager has serious mental health difficulties, including a history of hearing voices, and had been diagnosed with childhood conduct disorder and ADHD. The court also heard he had previously struggled with self-harm thoughts.

However, the judge said the offender understood the consequences of his actions and acted with awareness. The court was told the teenager had carried out several other incidents in the days leading up to Leo’s passing, including incidents involving elderly victims.
The offender, who was 14 at the time, had already admitted to multiple offences connected to earlier incidents, as well as possession of a sharp object on the day of the assault. Other charges were ordered to remain on file.

The case has renewed concerns in the UK over youth harm-related behaviour and the effectiveness of prevention measures, particularly for young people with complex needs.