CHRIS WATTS’ CHILLING CONFESSION: WHAT HE TOLD POLICE ABOUT THE MURDERS OF HIS FAMILY

CHRIS WATTS’ CHILLING CONFESSION: WHAT HE TOLD POLICE ABOUT THE MURDERS OF HIS FAMILY

FREDERICK, COLORADO — A resurfaced ABC News report is once again drawing attention to the chilling confession Chris Watts gave investigators after the 2018 murders of his pregnant wife, Shanann Watts, and their two young daughters, Bella and Celeste.

The ABC News report, published March 7, 2019, examines Watts’ account of the killings and what he told investigators about the events inside the family’s Colorado home.

Chris Watts: Colorado man who killed pregnant wife, 2 daughters, pleads guilty - ABC7 New YorkA CONFESSION THAT CHANGED THE CASE

Watts initially attempted to portray himself as a devastated husband whose family had disappeared.

But investigators quickly focused their attention on him.

After being confronted with evidence and questioning, Watts eventually admitted responsibility for the deaths of Shanann, 34, and their daughters, 4-year-old Bella and 3-year-old Celeste.

His later confession provided investigators with a disturbing account of what happened before and after the killings.

THE CASE SHOCKED THE NATION

The murders became one of the most closely followed family-homicide cases in modern American history.

Shanann was pregnant with the couple’s third daughter, whom they planned to name Nico.

The disappearance initially attracted national attention because Watts publicly appealed for his wife and daughters to come home.

Investigators, however, soon uncovered evidence that dramatically changed the direction of the case.

Watts ultimately pleaded guilty to multiple counts of murder and unlawful termination of a pregnancy.

He was sentenced in November 2018 to five consecutive life sentences without the possibility of parole, along with additional prison time. ABC News’ report specifically notes that he had been sentenced to life without parole for the three murders.

Chris Watts movie will air on Lifetime in January, featuring Chris Watts murders of his pregnant wife and daughters - ABC7 Los AngelesTHE CONFESSION REMAINS A KEY PART OF THE CASE

The police interviews became particularly significant because they offered investigators Watts’ own account of the events surrounding the deaths.

The confession also helped explain how investigators moved from a missing-person investigation to a multiple-homicide case.

Years later, the details remain disturbing—not only because of the violence involved, but because of how Watts initially presented himself publicly while investigators were searching for his wife and children.

WHY THE CASE CONTINUES TO DRAW ATTENTION

The Watts case has continued to generate documentaries, books, television coverage and renewed public discussion.

Part of the enduring interest comes from the stark contrast between the family’s outward appearance and what investigators ultimately uncovered.

The case also continues to raise questions about warning signs, domestic relationships and how quickly a seemingly ordinary family situation can deteriorate into tragedy.

ABC News’ original report remains a significant record of the confession and the investigation that followed.

The full ABC News report revisits Watts’ chilling account and the investigation that ultimately exposed what happened to his family.