13-YEAR-OLD GIRL FOUND SEVERELY MALNOURISHED AFTER ALLEGEDLY BEING LOCKED IN BEDROOM WITHOUT FOOD OR WATER

13-YEAR-OLD GIRL FOUND SEVERELY MALNOURISHED AFTER ALLEGEDLY BEING LOCKED IN BEDROOM WITHOUT FOOD OR WATER

SIOUX CITY, IOWA — A 13-year-old girl with autism was found severely malnourished and dehydrated after police say she escaped from a bedroom where she had allegedly been routinely locked without food, water or access to a bathroom.

According to court documents, officers found the girl weighing approximately 78 pounds after responding to a report of a missing juvenile in Sioux City last week.

What investigators discovered inside the home quickly turned the missing-child investigation into an alleged child-endangerment case.

Her guardians, Brandon Myers and Emily Myers, both 45, have been arrested and charged with child endangerment causing injury.

POLICE SAY THE GIRL ESCAPED LOOKING FOR FOOD

Investigators say the girl told them she climbed through her bedroom window because she was hungry and wanted to find something to eat.

She allegedly later returned to the home and secretly took food from the kitchen.

Police also reportedly discovered bananas and bagels hidden inside a nearby vehicle, allegedly stored there so the girl would have something to eat.

She was eventually taken to a hospital, where she was admitted for treatment of severe malnutrition and dehydration.

THE BEDROOM RAISED MORE QUESTIONS

According to court documents, investigators examining the home found a bedroom that appeared to have been heavily restricted.

Police allege the bedroom door had a lock on the outside.

The door handle had reportedly been installed backward, allegedly making it difficult for the girl to open the door from inside.

Investigators also said screws had been installed in the window frame to prevent it from opening.

The room was reportedly 10 to 15 degrees warmer than the rest of the house.

Most disturbing to investigators was the alleged lack of bathroom access.

Police reportedly found a plastic container inside the bedroom that contained urine.

ALLEGED CONFESSION AFTER ARREST

After the adults were arrested and advised of their rights, investigators say one of them acknowledged that the girl was locked inside the bedroom from the outside at night.

According to the court documents, the adult allegedly admitted that the child was left without food or water and was required to use a plastic tub to urinate and defecate.

Those allegations have not been tested at trial, and the defendants are presumed innocent unless proven guilty.

A CASE NOW HEADING TO COURT

The allegations have shocked the community and raised serious questions about how the girl was able to remain in those conditions while suffering severe malnutrition.

The case is scheduled for a preliminary hearing on August 21.

Under Iowa law, a conviction for child endangerment causing injury can carry a potential prison sentence of up to five years, depending on the circumstances and applicable charge.

For investigators, the case began with a report of a missing teenager.

It quickly became something far more disturbing.

A child who police say was desperate enough to escape through a window in search of food is now receiving medical care — while two adults accused of being responsible for her welfare sit behind bars awaiting their day in court.

The investigation remains ongoing, and prosecutors will ultimately have to prove the allegations in court.