Police Share New Update as Search Continues for Missing Withernsea Teen Grace Keeling

The urgent search for missing teenager Grace Keeling, who was carried into the sea alongside her mother, may be coming to an end after police confirmed that a person has been located.

A major two-week search effort had been underway for the 15-year-old since January 2, when Grace was pulled into the water by strong waves near Withernsea, East Yorkshire.

Her mother, Sarah Keeling, 45, and a member of the public, Mark Ratcliffe, 67, entered the water in an attempt to help her. Sadly, neither was able to reach Grace, and both lost their lives during the rescue attempt.

A later inquest confirmed that water-related causes were responsible for their passing, along with other injuries. Tributes from Grace’s school described her as “a wonderful young person” who “brought joy to the classroom.”

Humberside Police said on Saturday (January 17) that emergency services and HM Coastguard were able to recover a person during search operations.

“While formal identification has not yet taken place, we believe this individual to be 15-year-old Grace Keeling, who was carried into the sea on Friday, January 2, 2026,” the statement said.

Grace’s mother, Sarah, and Mark, who had tried to help, were located on the evening of January 2. Emergency services were alerted shortly after 3pm, leading to a coordinated response involving the Coastguard, RNLI, Humberside Police, Humberside Fire and Rescue Service, and Yorkshire Ambulance Service.

Search efforts continued despite severe weather conditions, including snow and freezing temperatures the following day, which eventually led to operations being paused later that afternoon.

On Friday, police confirmed they had secured an area after a person was discovered, but said recovery was delayed due to tidal conditions.

In a statement released today, Detective Superintendent Simon Vickers said:
“This was a deeply distressing incident, and it is impossible to fully understand the pain being felt by the families and loved ones involved.

“We have spoken with Grace’s family and provided updates, and they continue to be supported by specially trained officers during this incredibly difficult time. They have asked for privacy, and we respectfully ask that this is honored.

“Grace was located at around 8.30am on Thursday, January 15, 2026, by specialist police search advisors during the extensive efforts carried out over the past fourteen days.

“Due to tide times, conditions, and the location, it was not possible to safely complete recovery until today (Saturday, January 17, 2026), when — with the support of HM Coastguard, Humberside Fire and Rescue Service, and specialist teams — this was safely achieved.

“I would like to sincerely thank everyone who assisted and supported the search. Our thoughts and deepest sympathies remain with the families of Grace and Sarah Keeling, and Mark Ratcliffe following this heartbreaking incident.”