NICK KYRGIOS SUSPENDED FROM TENNIS AFTER POSITIVE COCAINE TEST — “I MADE A HUGE MISTAKE”

NICK KYRGIOS SUSPENDED FROM TENNIS AFTER POSITIVE COCAINE TEST — “I MADE A HUGE MISTAKE”
MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA — Nick Kyrgios’ turbulent return to professional tennis has taken another dramatic turn.
The former Wimbledon finalist has been provisionally suspended after testing positive for cocaine during an ATP 250 tournament in Mallorca, Spain, in June.
The International Tennis Integrity Agency said Kyrgios provided a sample on June 22 that tested positive for benzoylecgonine, a metabolite of cocaine. A World Anti-Doping Agency-accredited laboratory confirmed the result in July, and the provisional suspension took effect on August 4.
KYRGIOS TAKES RESPONSIBILITY
Kyrgios addressed the situation publicly Wednesday, acknowledging the failed test and apologizing to those around him.
“I made a huge mistake and I take full responsibility for it,” he said in a statement.
The 31-year-old also apologized to his fans, family, sponsors and young people who look up to him, saying he was deeply disappointed in himself.
The tennis star said the past several years had taken a significant physical and emotional toll as persistent injuries repeatedly interrupted his career.
Kyrgios has undergone wrist and knee surgeries and has spent long periods away from competition. He has also spoken about the emotional difficulty of confronting the possibility that his playing career could be nearing its end.
THE SUSPENSION CAME WEEKS AGO
Although the news became public Wednesday, the provisional suspension has actually been in place since August 4.
Under the suspension, Kyrgios is barred from participating in professional tennis activities while his case moves through the anti-doping process.
The ITIA said Kyrgios has the right to appeal the provisional suspension, but he had not done so as of August 19.
Cocaine is prohibited in competition under the applicable anti-doping rules.
The eventual sanction will depend on the circumstances of the violation and the findings of the relevant proceedings.
A CAREER ALREADY AT A CROSSROADS
The failed test comes at a particularly difficult point in Kyrgios’ career.
Just four years ago, he reached the 2022 Wimbledon final, establishing himself as one of the most dangerous and unpredictable players on the tour.
But injuries have dramatically limited his appearances since then.
The Australian has struggled to maintain a regular schedule, leaving his future in professional tennis increasingly uncertain.
Now, the provisional suspension creates another major obstacle.
KYRGIOS CALLS IT A WAKE-UP CALL
Rather than attempting to minimize the controversy, Kyrgios has described the situation as a moment that forced him to stop and reassess where his life was heading.
He announced plans to step away from social media and public life for 28 days, saying he wants to focus on himself and his recovery.
For a player who has spent much of his career under an intense spotlight, the decision represents a striking change in direction.
The next chapter will depend on the anti-doping proceedings — and on whether Kyrgios can eventually return to the court.
For now, one of tennis’ most recognizable personalities is facing perhaps the most uncertain period of his career.
A Wimbledon finalist. A seven-time ATP singles champion. A player once ranked No. 13 in the world.
Now, Nick Kyrgios is waiting to learn what comes next.
The suspension is provisional. The case is still developing. And his tennis comeback has suddenly become much more complicated. 🎾
The positive test and provisional suspension have been reported by the ITIA and multiple major news organizations. Kyrgios has acknowledged the violation and said he takes responsibility. The final outcome of the anti-doping proceedings has not yet been determined.