PRESTON DAVEY CASE: 40 INJURIES, MONTHS OF ABUSE AND THE FINAL HOURS OF A 13-MONTH-OLD BOY 

PRESTON DAVEY CASE: 40 INJURIES, MONTHS OF ABUSE AND THE FINAL HOURS OF A 13-MONTH-OLD BOY

The case of 13-month-old Preston Davey has drawn renewed attention after prosecutors presented extensive medical, photographic and digital evidence documenting what happened during the final four months of his life.

But some claims circulating online go beyond what the official record establishes.

What the evidence does show is already devastating.

Có thể là hình ảnh về em béA FOUR-MONTH PERIOD OF ABUSE

Preston was placed with Jamie Varley and John McGowan-Fazakerley in early 2023 as they began the process of adopting him.

According to Lancashire Police, the criminal offenses against Preston occurred during the approximately four months he was in their care. Investigators later recovered photographs and videos from the men’s phones that documented multiple episodes of physical cruelty.

The investigation ultimately established that Preston had suffered 40 traumatic injuries during the period he was in their care, including numerous external bruises, internal injuries and a healing fracture to his upper arm that was determined to be non-accidental.

Có thể là hình ảnh về em bé và văn bảnHIS INJURIES WERE NOT FROM ONE INCIDENT

The forensic evidence was particularly significant because the injuries were not consistent with a single accident.

Police said photographs and videos recovered from the defendants’ phones showed injuries on different dates throughout May, June and July 2023.

Preston was also taken to hospital several times before his death, including visits for breathing difficulties, bruising and a fractured arm. Investigators later determined that some explanations given for those injuries were inconsistent with the evidence.

The prosecution therefore presented the injuries as evidence of repeated physical abuse, rather than the result of isolated childhood accidents.

THE FINAL HOURS

On July 27, 2023, Preston was recorded on video struggling to breathe and appearing to be in significant discomfort.

Police said the prosecution’s case was that Preston had suffered an assault earlier that day, followed by another assault that caused an obstruction of his airway.

Varley was the only person in the house when those assaults allegedly occurred, according to Lancashire Police.

Preston was eventually taken to hospital unconscious and in cardiac arrest.

He was pronounced dead at 7:20 p.m.

A Home Office postmortem examination concluded that his cause of death was acute upper-airway obstruction. Medical evidence indicated this was caused by either smothering or an object or objects being inserted into his mouth.

THE BATH STORY COLLAPSED UNDER MEDICAL EVIDENCE

Varley told people that Preston had fallen into the bath while he briefly left the room.

But prosecutors argued that this was a false explanation designed to conceal what had actually happened.

One of the most important pieces of medical evidence was that Preston arrived at the hospital completely dry, despite the account that he had been submerged in the bath.

There was also no evidence that drowning had caused his death.

THE “40 INJURIES” CLAIM NEEDS CONTEXT

The figure of 40 injuries is real, but it is misleading to describe digital logs as having “proven” that all 40 injuries developed through a specific timeline of “systematic neglect.”

The official police account says the postmortem established 40 traumatic injuries sustained over the period Preston was in the defendants’ care. It also documents photographic and video evidence from numerous dates showing signs of physical cruelty.

That is different from saying a newly discovered digital log definitively identified the precise moment every injury occurred.

Likewise, there is no reliable evidence in the sources reviewed establishing a newly uncovered “secret” or a precise hour of death that prosecutors have only just revealed.

A CONVICTION HAS ALREADY BEEN REACHED

This is no longer an unresolved allegation against Varley.

After an eight-week trial, Jamie Varley was convicted of murdering Preston, along with multiple child-cruelty and sexual offenses. His partner, John McGowan-Fazakerley, was convicted of causing or allowing Preston’s death and other offenses.

Varley was subsequently given a whole-life order, meaning he will spend the remainder of his life in prison. McGowan-Fazakerley received a 25-year sentence.

THE MOST DISTURBING PART OF THE CASE

Perhaps the most heartbreaking aspect is the contrast between Preston’s first months of life and his final months.

Police said Preston had been described as a healthy and happy baby while living with his foster carers during the first nine months of his life.

After moving into the defendants’ care, investigators documented a succession of injuries and disturbing incidents before his death at just 13 months old.

The evidence ultimately presented to the jury was not based on one photograph, one video or one medical finding.

It was a four-month chronology of medical evidence, digital material, witness testimony and forensic findings that prosecutors argued demonstrated repeated abuse culminating in Preston’s death.

Forty traumatic injuries. Multiple hospital visits. A fatal airway obstruction. And a 13-month-old child who never got the chance to grow up.

The court has now delivered its verdict — but the evidence continues to raise painful questions about how Preston’s warning signs were recognized, reported and handled before it was too late.

This article distinguishes verified findings from claims circulating online that are not supported by the official sources reviewed.