“SHE’S ALIVE” — THEN THE DEVASTATING TRUTH: LILY HOOPER’S FAMILY GIVEN FALSE HOPE AFTER 8-DAY SEARCH

“SHE’S ALIVE” — THEN THE DEVASTATING TRUTH: LILY HOOPER’S FAMILY GIVEN FALSE HOPE AFTER 8-DAY SEARCH
For eight agonizing days, Lily Hooper’s family waited for their daughter to come home.
The 18-year-old experienced bushwalker disappeared on August 12 after setting out alone into the rugged terrain of Nattai National Park, in New South Wales.
Her car was later discovered near the Bonnum Pic Walking Trail, triggering an enormous search involving police, SES volunteers, Defence Force personnel and other emergency services. Nearly 1,000 people were involved in the search operation.
Then, on Thursday morning, came the news everyone had been praying for.
Lily had been found.
But a devastating communication error meant her family was initially told something else:
She was alive.
For several agonizing minutes, Lily’s parents believed their daughter had survived.
Then the message changed.
Search authorities confirmed that the person found in the dense bushland was deceased and was believed to be Lily.
The family’s moment of hope suddenly became another layer of heartbreak.
A SEARCH THAT ENDED IN TRAGEDY
An SES searcher located Lily in extremely dense terrain around 11:30 a.m.
Because of the difficult landscape and thick canopy, authorities were unable to immediately retrieve the body by helicopter and had to begin arranging a manual recovery operation.
Police have said the circumstances surrounding her death have not yet been established.
A report will be prepared for the coroner, and authorities have not indicated that foul play is suspected.
POLICE APOLOGIZE TO HER FAMILY
NSW Police Commissioner Mal Lanyon issued an unreserved apology for the communication error and acknowledged the additional trauma caused to Lily’s parents.
He said the mistake happened during an emotional moment when searchers believed Lily had finally been located.
But the information passed through several levels of command before reaching the family and even NSW Premier Chris Minns, who initially announced in Parliament that Lily had been found alive.
Minutes later, Minns returned with devastating news.
“It seems as if the earlier advice was wrong.”
He apologized to the parliamentary hearing and later said he was profoundly sorry if his announcement had added to the family’s heartbreak.
EIGHT DAYS OF HOPE
Lily had disappeared during a challenging solo hike in an isolated area with difficult terrain and limited phone coverage.
Her family remained at the search command post throughout the operation.
Hundreds of people searched steep drops, dense undergrowth and complex cliff lines in an effort to bring her home safely.
For eight days, there was still hope.
Then Lily was found.
But not alive.
And for a few painful minutes, her family was given hope one final time — only to have it taken away.
She was 18.
She went hiking and never returned.
Nearly 1,000 people searched for her.
And when she was finally found, the first message was that she was alive.
It wasn’t true.
Now, Lily’s family must face the devastating reality of losing their daughter while authorities investigate both the circumstances of her death and the communication failure that briefly told them otherwise.
Police have not announced a cause of death. The body is yet to be formally identified, although authorities believe it is Lily Hooper. A coroner’s investigation will follow.