NICK KYRGIOS’ CAREER ROCKED BY POSITIVE COCAINE TEST — TENNIS STAR ADMITS “HUGE MISTAKE”

NICK KYRGIOS’ CAREER ROCKED BY POSITIVE COCAINE TEST — TENNIS STAR ADMITS “HUGE MISTAKE”
MALLORCA, SPAIN — Nick Kyrgios’ already uncertain tennis future has taken another dramatic turn.
The former Wimbledon finalist has revealed that he tested positive for cocaine during a tournament in Mallorca in June, prompting a provisional suspension from professional tennis. The International Tennis Integrity Agency confirmed the suspension, which has been in effect since August 4.
Kyrgios, 31, publicly acknowledged the positive test Wednesday and said he takes full responsibility for what happened.
“I made a huge mistake and take full responsibility for it.”
He also apologized to his fans, family, sponsors and young people who look up to him.
THE TEST THAT CHANGED EVERYTHING
The sample was collected on June 22 during an ATP 250 tournament in Mallorca, Spain.
A WADA-accredited laboratory later confirmed the presence of benzoylecgonine, a metabolite of cocaine. The positive result was confirmed in July, and the ITIA imposed the provisional suspension on August 4.
Under tennis anti-doping rules, cocaine is prohibited in competition. The potential consequences can vary depending on whether the substance is determined to have been used in or out of competition.
Kyrgios has the right to appeal the provisional suspension but, as of Wednesday, had not done so.
“THE LAST COUPLE OF YEARS HAVE TAKEN A HUGE TOLL”
In his statement, Kyrgios connected the latest controversy to the difficult period he has experienced away from the court.
Repeated wrist and knee injuries have severely limited his ability to compete, while the former world No. 13 has struggled to regain the form that once made him one of tennis’ most recognizable stars.
Kyrgios said the physical and emotional consequences of those injuries had been extremely difficult to handle, particularly as he confronted the possibility that his playing career could be approaching its end.
But he did not use those struggles as an excuse.
Instead, he described the failed test as a wake-up call and said he intends to step away from social media and public life for 28 days to focus on himself.
FROM WIMBLEDON FINALIST TO AN UNCERTAIN FUTURE
Just a few years ago, Kyrgios was enjoying the biggest moments of his career.
In 2022, he reached the Wimbledon singles final and won the Australian Open men’s doubles title with Thanasi Kokkinakis.
Since then, however, injuries have dramatically reduced his time on court.
Now, the suspension creates another major obstacle.
The provisional suspension bars Kyrgios from participating in professional tennis activities while the case proceeds. Depending on the circumstances surrounding the violation, he could face a suspension ranging from months to several years.
A CAREER AT A CROSSROADS
For a player who has spent years embracing controversy while insisting that he wanted to compete on his own terms, this may be one of the most serious challenges of his career.
Kyrgios has already acknowledged the mistake.
Now comes the harder question:
Can he rebuild his career — and his reputation — after this?
The answer will depend not only on the outcome of the anti-doping case, but also on whether Kyrgios can physically and mentally return to professional tennis.
For now, one thing is certain:
The comeback story Nick Kyrgios wanted to write has suddenly become much more complicated. 🎾
The suspension is provisional, and Kyrgios retains the right to appeal. This article does not imply any additional wrongdoing beyond the confirmed anti-doping violation.