“THEY SAID SHE WAS SAFE” — MISSING JEJU WOMAN’S CASE DEEPENS AFTER POLICE CALL RECORDS RAISE NEW QUESTIONS 

“THEY SAID SHE WAS SAFE” — MISSING JEJU WOMAN’S CASE DEEPENS AFTER POLICE CALL RECORDS RAISE NEW QUESTIONS

JEJU, SOUTH KOREA — A long-running missing-person case has taken a disturbing turn after investigators discovered that a police officer who reportedly closed the case claimed to have spoken with the missing woman — yet phone records show no such call took place.

The missing woman, 37-year-old Jang Mi-ran, disappeared after leaving her home in Jeju at approximately 1:30 a.m. on May 13.

More than three months later, she remains missing.

Cell Phone Was On When Missing Report Was Filed... Unlocking Call RecordsTHE PHONE WAS STILL ON

According to the Jeju Provincial Police Agency, Jang’s mobile phone remained switched on until around May 17, several days after she disappeared.

A missing-person report was filed on May 15.

But investigators reviewing communication records found no record of a phone call between Jang and the officer who handled the initial report. An internal review of the officer’s police station also reportedly found no such call.

Despite this, the officer allegedly reported that contact had been made with Jang and subsequently closed the case.

The officer also claimed that Jang had said she did not want her boyfriend to know where she was.

Police are now investigating whether that conversation ever happened.

SBS 뉴스 이미지A CASE THAT MAY HAVE BEEN CLOSED TOO SOON

The officer has been booked on suspicion of dereliction of duty while investigators examine how the missing-person case was handled.

Police are also reviewing the system itself.

According to SBS, the existing process did not require confirmation from a superior before an officer could close a missing-person case. Investigators also found that the officer did not personally verify Jang’s safety or enter the relevant information into a system designed to assess the risk associated with missing people.

That has become a major source of anger for Jang’s family.

They say they initially believed she was safe because they were told police had made contact with her.

But she never came home.

HER BOYFRIEND TRIED TO REPORT HER MISSING AGAIN

On July 17, Jang’s boyfriend became concerned that she had remained out of contact and attempted to file another missing-person report.

According to her family, police did not accept the report because the earlier case contained the claim that Jang had asked that her boyfriend not be told her whereabouts.

Two days later, on July 19, Jang’s cousin reported her missing again in Seoul.

The investigation was finally resumed.

But by then, precious time had passed.

CRITICAL CCTV FOOTAGE WAS ALREADY GONE

One of the most troubling consequences of the delay is that more than two months had passed before the investigation was restarted.

According to SBS, CCTV recordings and other footage that could potentially have helped trace Jang’s movements had already been deleted.

Investigators have also reportedly found no confirmed evidence of ordinary activity such as credit-card use, mobile-phone activity or hospital visits.

For a missing-person investigation, those lost records could have been crucial.

NOW, A MASSIVE SEARCH IS UNDERWAY

Police have now launched an intensive search around Hanlim Port, where mobile-phone location information pointed.

From August 20 through August 26, an average of approximately 140 personnel per day are expected to participate in the operation.

Authorities plan to use helicopters, drones, search dogs, divers, patrol boats and coastal rescue vessels.

Search teams will examine coastal areas, nearby waters, farm roads and possible routes Jang may have taken. Investigators also plan to check guesthouses, abandoned buildings and shelters across Jeju.

HER FAMILY IS STILL WAITING

Jang is described as approximately 158 centimeters tall with a slim build and long, straight hair. She was reportedly wearing a gold bracelet when she disappeared.

But behind those identifying details is a family that has spent months waiting for answers.

The most painful question may no longer be simply where Jang went.

It is also:

What might investigators have discovered if the case had been properly pursued from the beginning?

Police are now examining both Jang’s disappearance and the conduct of the officer who allegedly closed the original case without properly verifying her safety.

For now, there is still no confirmed explanation for what happened to Jang Mi-ran.

And as search teams return to Jeju’s coastline, her family continues to wait for the one answer they have wanted since May:

Where is Jang?

The police officer’s alleged misconduct remains under investigation, and there is currently no confirmed finding that the officer’s actions caused Jang’s disappearance. SBS also notes that its English version was AI-translated and may contain errors.